Jul 30, 2009

Fabulously Fresh



Summer brings many beautiful things. One of which being the gorgeous, fresh fruits and vegetables harvested by local farmers and gardeners. Red tomatoes sparkling with drops of dew, vibrant colanders in kitchen sinks, filled with green beans ready to be trimmed and juicy strawberries fresh from the plant are a few of my personal favorites. Taste is another aspect of fresh-from-the garden produce that can't be overlooked. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there seems to be an additional layer of flavor that is missing from that cellophane-wrapped bag of carrots I purchase at the supermarket. Having access to farm or garden-fresh produce is worth taking advantage of.

One way in which to go about acquiring the freshest produce is by paying a visit to your local farmer's markets. My husband and I are planning a trip to ours this Saturday morning. I have plans to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables that will take starring roles in some of next week's recipes.

Another great tool I recently came across is a website called Pick Your Own. This site provides information on local farms and gardens that allow patrons to visit and pick their own produce (i.e. berries, sweet corn, etc.). Choose your state and a list of local opportunities unfold in front of you. Planning a trip to a local farm for some berry picking would be a great family outing or even date!

Here is hoping you take advantage of some fabulously-fresh finds for your kitchen.

Beautiful photo of tomatoes courtesy of FreePhotosBank.com

No comments:

Post a Comment